Friday, April 23, 2010

Emmett’s First Move


Well, this is our last night in our apartment.  I have really enjoyed it here – our apartment was a decent size, and it was fairly new and quite nice inside (plus I actually spent some time in “decorating” it).  I am going to miss our lake to walk around.  I’m going to miss all the ducks and the turtles too.  Today Emmett and I got to see a mama duck with all her sweet little ducklings, and also got to see about 30 turtles sun-baking on the side of the lake.  I like to see how many turtles jump back into the lake when we walk by – usually only 1 or 2 are brave enough to stick it out on the shore!  I am certainly going to miss having a pool….but I can always come back for a visit during the summer!  Plus, I plan to get that kiddie pool for our backyard, and maybe some fun sprinklers (if I can convince Chris that we definitely need them!).  But with all this said, I am so excited to be moving back into a house, and even move excited that we’re moving into a house that we now own!!  Chris and I bought a house!  That’s just crazy.  It’s so beautiful – I can’t wait to post pictures.  The apartment is almost all packed and we moved a few things today, but tomorrow is the official moving day.  I actually think that tomorrow will go quite smoothly since we’ve got most of our things ready to go!

As Emmett is an experienced crawler now, I can’t wait to move into the house so that we can babyproof simply by closing doors to rooms.  In our apartment, the computers are in the living room, and Emmett LOVES to head straight for all the wires.  I am constantly having to keep him away from them.

At 8 and 1/2 months, Emmett has been acting a little clingy.  Some days he plays nicely with his toys, other days he follows me around all day long trying to pull up on my legs.  Around the 8 month mark, he stopped loving the change table and actually became quite difficult to change – always squirming and trying to turn over and sit up.  I’ve had to have Chris come and distract him quite a few times just so that I can get his pajamas on.  Oh my!  And he’s a strong kid too. 

As I’ve already mentioned, he’s got the crawling thing down, and also pulls up on everything!  He loves to bang his hand on walls and doors and chew on everything he can get his hands on.  One of the cutest things I’ve noticed is that Emmett loves playing with other kids.  He loves his friend Bristol and his other friends at our (almost) weekly playdates.  He sees Bristol a little more than his other friends because I’ve babysat him a couple of times for my friend.  Emmett follows Bristol around everywhere, and when we’re at our place, all Emmett’s toys are suddenly way more interesting to him because Bristol is playing with them!

The move for Emmett has actually been a little upsetting so far.  Thankfully I’ve had a lot of help with packing, because I’ve not been able to do as much as I thought I could while looking after a baby!!  Don’t really know why that was surprising to me.  But Emmett has been having a hard time because he hates the sound of the tape dispenser when we’re putting the boxes together.  He cries a real real cry – not a whiney cry – but one of those heartbreaking cries.  So we’ve tried to make the boxes in the other room with the door closed to muffle the sound a little!  Poor thing.  And then today while at the new house moving some things in, Emmett would not let me put him down.  If I did put him down to try to help move boxes, he cried that cry.  So so sad.  I understand that the house is unfamiliar, and is almost completely empty and obviously a little scary for him, but we weren’t there for long and I was still in sight.  He really didn’t want to be there today!  Tomorrow, we have Chris’s family helping us, and I’m sure Emmett’s Ouma will LOVE the job of watching Emmett for us and making him feel loved!!

Anyway.  This whole buying a house thing went really smoothly and quite quickly for us.  We asked a friend to be our realtor, and she really helped us out a lot.  I’ll be taking photos of the house pretty soon, but may not get them on here for a little while since there will be a couple of days without internet.  Plus I’ll be quite busy unpacking at the new house and cleaning the apartment. 

 

I know I said Emmett’s been clingy lately, but he really is a happy baby….and sometimes a completely crazy little baby!  I can’t help feeling partly responsible for the silliness of this little boy!!!  :)


And here’s Emmett in April 201o – 8 months old

04 April 2010_0233

13 April 2010_0257

13 April 2010_0261

Emmett and Bristol

14 April 2010 004
14 April 2010 012
First hair cut!!!  ….well, just trimming the hair around his ears!! 

15 April 2010 017

15 April 2010 022

16 April 2010_0274

20 April 2010 054

Having so much fun with an Elmo costume we found while packing….

21 April 2010 004
21 April 2010_0302

21 April 2010 012

21 April 2010 008

21 April 2010 010
And the silliness continues!!!  :)

21 April 2010_0305

1 comment:

  1. Such a gorgeous little guy. Ella was also very afraid of the sound of tape. She was around 7 months when our boxes arrived from the US and I couldn't tear tape off of them with her around. Good luck. Congrats on your home!

    ReplyDelete